The public square in the small seaside town was named, as was the case in Romania, the Independence Square. Here were some Greek taverns, some craftsmen, being the meeting area for the inhabitants of different nations of the oldest city in Romania. It has always been the center of the city, but it has only become its heart in 1887, when, on a 4-foot stone-carved stone base, the statue of the poet exiled at Pont, Publius Ovidius Naso, was placed.
The symbolic event of the lifting of Ovidius’ statue in Constanta on August 18, 1887, when the bronze work of the Italian sculptor Ettore Ferrari of Rome was erected on the base, gathered many important faces of Romania at the end of the 19th century. The event was attended by Remus N. Opreanu, the first prefect of the county and the one who had the initiative to raise the statue, D.A. Sturdza, Prime Minister of Romania and Minister of Cults and Public Instruction, Mayor of Constanta, Mihail Koiciu and Parthenie, Bishop of Lower Danube.
The statue was erected in the center of the city before the construction of the Constanta Harbor, before the Dobrogea of the country was linked by the Anghel Saligny bridge over the Danube, before the monarchy in Romania began to raise the royal buildings by the seashore, long before the city expanded the tourist infrastructure to take shape.
In 1887 there was not only a bronze statue of 2.2 meters high, but a flag of Romanian Latin, a symbol that rose over the centuries of Ottoman rule, and which, through its symbolism, stated that the Romanians I am a Latin people.
The symbolic raising of Publius Ovidius Naso’s statue was the very moment when Constanţa began its development, asserting itself slowly but surely as one of the main cities of Romania, the main tourist areas on the Black Sea coast and the main historical and multicultural in Europe.
The statue of the exiled poet at Tomis, now the oldest piece standing in Ovidiu Square, witnesses the development of Constanta. Ovidius’ statue was present at the construction of the largest mosque in Christian Europe, saw how buildings were built in countless architectural styles in the Peninsula, looked at the development of tourism infrastructure and heard the multitude of languages spoken in ancient Constanta .